Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

 My love for all things pumpkin continues...
I don't know if I've shared this but Stephen doesn't like pumpkin, AT ALL! Although this breaks my heart in one way, it also makes me happy because that means for pumpkin cinnamon rolls for me! :) The downside is that he complains that I make too many pumpkin dishes and he doesn't get anything because he doesn't like pumpkin.  Tough luck, buddy! 

The original recipe is vegan and I had never made anything vegan before.  When I saw this over at Eat, Live, Run I knew this was going to be my first ever vegan dish.  I was wrong :(  I didn't have the vegan butter substitute and I had just went to the grocery that evening and wasn't about to go back.  Besides, I'm not a vegan so I didn't feel bad about using regular butter.  If you want to do this vegan, just use a vegan buttery spread. 

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Printable Recipe
Source: Eat, Live, Run

Yield: 8 or 9 rolls

Ingredients:

2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup almond milk or regular milk
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup sugar
1 pkg dry yeast
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp ginger

Filling:

1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp cinnamon

Glaze:

1 cup powder sugar
1 tbsp almond or regular milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Heat milk and butter in a small sauce pan, over low heat.  Heat until butter is melted and milk is warm to the touch. 

Remove from heat and sprinkle yeast into the mixture, stir to dissolve and let sit 5 minutes. Make sure your milk is only warm and not hot or it will kill the yeast.

Whisk flour, salt, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and sugar together in a large bowl or bowl of stand mixer.

Add pumpkin to flour mixture and pour in yeast. 

Knead dough by hand 10 minutes or if using a stand mixer, knead with dough hook about 6 minutes.  Dough should be smooth and elastic.

Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a dish towel.  Sit bowl in a warm place and allow dough to rise 1 hour and 15 minutes.

While dough is rising, make the filling by mixing butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl.

Remove dough to a lightly floured surface and roll out into a large rectangle.

Spread filling over dough, leaving a 1-inch boarder around all four sides.

Gently roll the dough into a log and slice into 1/2 inch slices with a sharp knife.

Place rolls into a greased 9-inch cake pan or pie plate. 

Cover with a dish towel and allow to rise in a warm place 45 minutes.*

Cook rolls in a 350 degrees F preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Allow rolls to cool & make glaze.

Mix powder sugar, milk, and vanilla extract and pour over rolls.

*If you don't want to bake the rolls right away, cover with plastic wrap and keep in refrigerator until ready to bake.  You can bake them straight from the fridge, you don't need to let them come to room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kentucky Food Bloggers
Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.