Friday, July 8, 2011

Raspberry Crumble Bars

Some of my favorite childhood memories are from weekends at my grandparent's home in the country.  They had a HUGE raspberry bush and I would spend hours picking berries and taking them to my granny so she could make jam.  I never accumulated many berries though; I always ate them as I picked...I eat them until I had a stomach ache :)  My granny's jam was amazing and I miss that raspberry bush-it's long since gone. 

Although these raspberries came from the store and not my grandparent's, these bars were still delicious.  The original recipe says to make them in a 13x9 baking dish but I made mine in a 9x9.  I really love raspberries and wanted the raspberry layer to be extra thick and tart. These crumble bars are so yummy- I cannot wait to make more.  Actually, this was my third attempt at making them-I bought raspberries on two previous trips to the grocery and each time I ate all the berries within a day or two and never got to make the bars :) I have no self control when it comes to fresh fruits, what can I say? I love them! You could use any berry or fruit you wanted, if by some crazy chance you don't like raspberries. 

Raspberry Crumble Bars

Adapted from:  Annie's Eats

Printable Recipe 

Yield: 1 pan (9x9)

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon
16 tbsp COLD unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg
12 oz (2 containers) fresh raspberries
4 tsp cornstarch
juice of 1 lemon

Directions:
Preheat oven 375 degrees F.

Prepare 9x9 baking dish by buttering inside and lining with parchment paper (allow 2 inches to come up over 2 sides for easier lifting from pan).
In a large bowl mix: 1 cup sugar, baking powder, & flour.  Mix salt and lemon zest with a fork.

Cut in butter and egg with pastry blender until pieces are the size of a pea. 

Place half the crumble mixture in pan and press down with hands until flat and surface is even.

In a small bowl whisk cornstarch and lemon juice.  Fold in raspberries and pour them on crumble crust.

Cover raspberries with the remaining crumble mixture. 

Bake 40-50 minutes or until top is slightly golden brown. Allow to cool completely then cut into squares & ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kentucky Food Bloggers
Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.