Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Steve-a-Rino

My husband doesn't cook often but there is one thing he makes that I like better than my own...grilled cheese! He makes the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches; I just love them.  A month or so ago (maybe longer, I don't recall) I didn't feel much like cooking and he wanted more than just your normal grilled cheese.  I was summoned to the kitchen and asked to try THE STEVE-A-RINO.  This grilled sandwich was GREAT and Steve came up with it all on his own.  Basically, he took everything in the fridge and put it on a sandwich: ham, pepperoni, spicy mustard, provolone cheese and mayo. - The fridge wasn't stocked well that week ;)

Sunday evening was yet another night that I just didn't feel like cooking and I hadn't really made plans to cook, so our options were very limited.  Steve grinned and said he would make us Steve-a-rinos :) This time we had some cheddar-pepper jack cheese that he added and it was amazing! There is one key ingredient to the grilled cheese and now to my husband's creation that may seem off-putting to some of you but trust me (I was a MAJOR skeptic) and just try it! Instead of buttering your bread, use mayo. Have you already tried this? I like mayo, but only on certain things and only in moderation. So, when I was first introduced to the concept to using mayo instead of butter on a grilled cheese I turned my nose up and said, "EWWW, HECK NO!"  Luckily, Steve was more daring and tried it....it's so much better than butter.  It gives you the same browning effect without being as greasy :) And if you don't like mayonnaise, that's okay too because you can't taste it!
The Steve-a-Rino
Printable Recipe 

Ingredients:

white bread
deli ham (we used Smoked)
pepperoni
cheddar-jack cheese
provolone cheese
spicy mustard
mayonnaise

Directions:

Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat.

Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on one side of two slices of bread. 

Place the mayo-side down on skillet and build your sandwich (ham, pepperoni, cheese, mustard, etc). Then place a second piece of bread (mayo-side up) on top.
cheddar-pepper jack cheese & ham

pepperoni

provolone

mustard

bread
Cook sandwich a few minutes on each side until golden brown.

Cut into two triangles (or leave whole if desired) and ENJOY!

Next time I'm adding bacon to mine , YUM! Mix it up, try different meats, cheeses, mustards, etc.
Hungry Puppy :) Sorry Greta, no Steve-a-Rino for you!
Hope you're all having a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kentucky Food Bloggers
Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.