Saturday, August 20, 2011

Gooey Chocolate Caramel Cake

I made this cake last week for a co worker's Birthday. It's one of my favorite desserts and since I had forgotten to ask what he wanted me to make, this is what he got :)  I've made this cake more than any other dessert and it always turns out great and everyone loves it.  Although it's not made from scratch, it's a crowd pleaser and everyone will want to know how you made it-which is one reason I always keep the ingredients on hand.  Since I took this to work, I wasn't able to get a picture once it's sliced-so you don't get to see the yummy gooey caramel that will pool on your plate :) But trust me, it's delicious! 


I usually call this the "cake with the holes" but that doesn't really describe what it's made of so I renamed it for this post.  I can't remember who this recipe originally came from but my mom has made it since I was a child and it's often what I request for my Birthday cake.  It was also the first dessert I managed to make all on my own!  
Gooey Chocolate Caramel Cake
Printable Recipe 
 
Ingredients:

1 chocolate cake mix (I used devil's food)
1 can sweetened, condensed milk
1 can caramel sauce, set aside a few tbsp. to drizzle over top cake
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate because that's what I had but semi-sweet is good too)
1/2 cup heath brittle*
1 package cool-whip, thawed

*If your store doesn't carry the heath brittle in a bag just crush 2 or 3 bars

Directions:

Cook cake by box directions in 13x9 baking dish

Allow cake to cool completely then grease (I use non-stick cooking spray) the end of a wooden spoon that has a round handle and poke holes in cake, about 1/2 inch apart.  If you don't have a wooden spoon with a rounded handle, you can use a tooth pick or cake tester and just make a circular motion to make larger holes. 
I forgot to grease my hole-maker...oops!

Mix caramel sauce and sweetened condensed milk and pour over cake. 

Place cake, covered, in refrigerator over night (you don't have to do this step but it allows the cake to really absorb the sauce and tastes best this way).

Spread cool-whip topping over cake evenly and sprinkle with chocolate chips, heath brittle, and caramel sauce.
You can keep this cake stored in the refrigerator, covered, up to 3 days but I HIGHLY DOUBT it will last that long :)  Next time you need a quick, easy, DELICIOUS dessert, make this cake! I guarantee you won't be let down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kentucky Food Bloggers
Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.