Monday, December 12, 2011

Blackberry Cobbler

Can you believe there are people living among us that have never had cobbler? More baffling, people who have never heard of cobbler?  Call me ignorant but I didn't know that cobbler was a "southern" thing until a few years ago.  My old boss who is from Pennsylvania had never had cobbler and didn't know what it was.  I was completely shocked and appalled!
How can it be that someone had went their whole life without cobbler? I grew up on peach, cherry, apple, and blackberry cobbler.  It was a staple in my diet quite frankly and the most popular dessert at all family functions.  In fact, this particular cobbler that I truly love, I boycotted for about 2 years.  My mom made this cobbler for a family gathering and for at least a year she was asked to bring it to EVERY family function, gathering, birthday party, etc.  I was dreaming in blackberries and if you really could turn into what you eat I would have been a blackberry.  I actually got sick of this dessert for awhile and refused to eat it for about 2 years but now I'm back on the bandwagon.
Like my corn pudding, this was another dish I made when I first started cooking.  It's a real confidence booster in the kitchen and people are so impressed with the lattice crust...Suckers, they don't know how stinkin' easy this is to make. Next time you sign up to bring dessert, try out this cobbler.


Blackberry Cobbler
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

2 bags frozen blackberries, thawed*
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
2 pie crusts (homemade or store bought)
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)

*I sometimes forget to thaw the blackberries and it works fine if they are still frozen.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, mix the blackberries, sugar, and flour.

Spray a round baking dish with non-stick spray and place 1 pie crust in bottom then add blackberry mixture.

Cut 1 pie crust into 1-inch strips and lattice over blackberries.*

Brush top of cobbler with egg wash.

Bake for 1 hour or until crust is golden.

Allow cobbler to cool at least 1 hour before serving.

*Click Here for step-by-step photos on how to make a lattice crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kentucky Food Bloggers
Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.