Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Strawberry Summer Cake


I bought some strawberries a few days back for $1.29 on manager special (I'm starting to really love the manager special incase you couldn't tell). I bought two cartons and after placing them in the fridge I wondered what I could make with them.  Naturally, I started looking through my recipes and found a few things I thought sounded okay but nothing really struck my fancy until I noticed that Deb over at Smitten Kitchen had posted a new recipe......STRAWBERRY SUMMER CAKE!

As usual as soon as I read her post I knew this would be another success.  So, the next morning I woke up and started the oven & making this delicious cake!  Before I even popped it in my oven I knew it was going to be amazing - my inner 3-year-old self licked the batter off a spatula and I was in heaven already! If the batter is good, the cake usually is too :)

This is such a great summer dessert (or breakfast, hehe) because it's easy and quick to put together and those strawberries cook up so nicely!  It's okay to eat this for breakfast, it's a serving a fruit...right? Whose with me?



Strawberry Summer Cake
Source: Smitten Kitchen
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pie plate
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter a Deep Dish pie plate.

Whisk flour, baking powder, & salt in a small mixing bowl.

With an electric mixer (or bowl of your stand mixer) cream the butter and sugar about 3 minutes or until it's soft and fluffy. Mix in egg, milk, & vanilla extract until combined then slowly add dry mixture in 3 portions.

Pour batter into prepared pie plate and place strawberries (cut side down) into batter.


 
Place pie plate on a baking sheet (just incase you have any bubble over while baking) and bake for 10 minutes on 350 degrees F.  Drop temperature to 325 degrees F and bake for another 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester (or toothpick) comes out clean from the center. 

Allow cake to cool on cooling rack before serving! ENJOY!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Kentucky Food Bloggers
Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.