Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sweet & Sour Chicken

I've made this sweet and sour chicken several times; it's my favorite.  Steve and I love Chinese food but we don't like to spend the money on take out. Don't misunderstand and think we never order in, we do but we've really been trying to scale back.  I like to make a side of rice (brown or white depending on my mood) and it's honestly just as good as take-out.
It's much cheaper than ordering from a Chinese restaurant and it's really easy which is always a plus! I'm ashamed to say I've purchased several different sweet and sour sauces at the grocery in the past but I never liked any of them. This homemade version taste great, is easy, and again it's super cheap. You probably already have all the ingredients you need. If you don't have rice vinegar you can use white vinegar instead.
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Source: Brown Eyed Baker
Printable Recipe

Sweet & Sour Chicken

Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients:

For the Chicken:
3-4 boneless,skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, slightly beaten
¼ cup canola oil

For Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Season chicken with salt and pepper.

Working in batches, toss the chicken in cornstarch and then coat with the egg.

Heat the oil over medium-high heat and again in batches, brown the chicken on all sides.

Place the chicken in a single layer in a baking dish.

Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the chicken, toss to coat.

Bake for 1 hour, turning the chicken every 15 minutes.

*I like to make two batches of sauce so I can dip my chicken. I put my second batch in a small sauce pan and heat on low for a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kentucky Food Bloggers
Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.