Monday, January 16, 2012

Coconut Ginger Rice with Chickpeas

Steve has been sick all week with a really bad cold and I hoped that this dish would brighten his spirits and make him feel better. Nope, wrong again. I really liked the rice but apparently the hubs doesn't really care for coconut - I somehow didn't know this and was already preparing dinner when he informed me. I was hoping it would be one of those instances where he would change his mind after trying it. Although he said he liked it, I don't think it was his favorite.
My only complaint was that it needed to be a little spicier and my laziness was partly to blame. The original recipe calls for a fresno chili and my grocery doesn't carry those (among many other ingredients I need but that's another story) and I didn't want to go down town Lexington to a Mexican Market this weekend. It's been really cold here and even snowed.  I HATE getting out when it's snowing and super cold. That being said, next time if I don't have a fresno I will use a jalapeno and try to spice it up just a bit.  I think it would have made a huge impact. That being said, I still really enjoyed it.

Coconut Ginger Rice with Chickpeas 
Adapted From: Rachael Ray
Printable Recipe

Servings: About 5

Ingredients:

1 inch Ginger Root, grated
1 Roasted Red Pepper, chopped*
1 Lime, zested (reserve juice)
2 Tbsp. butter
4 Scallions, chopped (whites & greens)
1 Cup White Rice
1 1/3 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
3/4 Cup Unsweetened, Shredded Coconut
1 Can Chickpeas, drained

*Original recipe calls for 1 fresno chili

Directions:

Heat butter in a medium sauce pan on medium heat.

Once butter is melted, add grated ginger, red pepper, lime zest, and scallions then stir together.

Add 1 cup of rice and coconut and let toast a few minutes.
Add chicken stock and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover with a tight fitting lid.

Allow rice to cook 15-18 minutes.

In the last 5 minutes of cook time, add in drained chickpeas.

Turn off heat and add lime juice just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kentucky Food Bloggers
Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.